Iran on Saturday imposed sanctions on dozens of other Americans, many of whom are in the US military, for the 2020 murder of General Qassem Soleimani in a drone strike.
Iran’s foreign ministry said the 51 Americans had been targeted for what it called “terrorism” and human rights violations. The move allows Iranian authorities to seize any assets they hold in Iran, but the apparent absence of such assets means it will likely be symbolic.
The ministry said in a statement released by local media that the 51 had been targeted for “their role in the terrorist crime perpetrated by the United States against martyr General Qassem Soleimani and his companions and for promoting terrorism and human rights violations. fundamental human rights ”.
Read also : Iran vows revenge for Soleimani’s murder if Trump doesn’t stand trial
Soleimani, the commander of the Iranian force Quds, the overseas branch of the elite Revolutionary Guards, was killed in Iraq in a drone strike on January 3, 2020, ordered by the then president, Donald Trump.
Among those added to the Iranian sanctions list were US General Mark Milley, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and former White House national security adviser Robert O’Brien.
In a similar move announced a year ago, Iran imposed sanctions on Trump and several senior US officials for what it called “terrorist and anti-human rights” acts.
Read also : Former Israeli intelligence chief admits Tel Aviv role in Soleimani’s assassination
Iranian President Ebrahim Raisi, speaking on the second anniversary of Soleimani’s assassination, said this week that Trump must stand trial for the murder or that Tehran will take revenge.
The Trump administration rained sanctions on Iranian officials, politicians and businesses after pulling the United States out in 2018 from Tehran’s 2015 nuclear deal with world powers.
Iran and the United States are currently in indirect talks in Vienna on saving the 2015 deal.