Lebanon thwarts three suicide attacks by ‘terrorist network’, interior minister says – News


Mawlawi said the network was affiliated with the Daesh group



By Reuters

Published: Wed 23 Feb 2022, 14:08

Last update: Wed 23 Feb 2022, 14:40

Lebanese security forces foiled plans by Daesh-linked militants to carry out three suicide attacks in the southern suburbs of Beirut, the interior minister said on Wednesday.

Plans for the attacks involved rocket-propelled grenades and gunfire as well as suicide vests fitted with explosives that would have killed scores, minister Bassam Mawlawi said.

The militant network involved was affiliated with Daesh, he said.

This group, which controlled large swathes of Iraq and Syria and a swathe of rugged mountains in northeast Lebanon from 2014 to 2017, claimed responsibility for a double suicide bombing in the southern suburbs of Beirut in 2015 that killed more of 40 people.

The area is a support base for the Iran-backed Hezbollah group, which fought militants including Daesh during Syria’s civil war.

The network in Lebanon, in contact with Daesh militants in Syria, had been informed on February 17 that the operation would be carried out in a few days, the Internal Security Forces (ISF) said in a presentation.

Two suspects were arrested the same day and are being held, Mawlawi said.

Explosives, weapons and ammunition were also seized.

Previous Joe Biden: Top Republican Blasts POTUS Over Russian-Ukrainian Tensions - 'China Is Watching!' | World | News
Next Central European NATO members condemn Russia's attack on Ukraine