Ukrainian rescue workers recovered 15 bodies after Russian Uragan rockets hit a five-story building, collapsing the building in the eastern Donetsk region, officials said.
More than 20 people could still be trapped in the wreckage, the local branch of the emergency services in the city of Chasiv Yar said on Facebook.
Rescuers late on July 10 pulled a man trapped for nearly 24 hours from the rubble, bringing the number of people found alive to six. The man was rushed to hospital after being extracted by rescuers, who earlier said they had come into contact with at least three people trapped under the ruins.
Live briefing: Russia’s invasion of Ukraine
RFE/RL Live briefing gives you all the latest developments on the ongoing invasion of Russia, how Kyiv is responding, Western military aid, the global response and the plight of civilians and refugees. For all of RFE/RL’s coverage of the war, click here.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy said the attack on Chasiv Yar prompted him to include the topic of war crimes on his agenda for next week.
“Since the start of this invasion, Ukrainian law enforcement has done everything necessary to record the occupiers’ crimes and collect evidence,” he said. in a video message July 10.
He said the negotiations he is planning will “contribute to the punishment of Russian war criminals”.
Pavlo Kyrylenko, the head of Donetsk’s military administration, said the attack took place late on July 9.
Chasiv Yar is a town of about 12,000 people about 20 kilometers southeast of Kramatorsk, a town that has recently been targeted by Russian forces.
Andriy Yermak, chief of staff to the Ukrainian president, said the attack was “another terrorist attack” and that Russia should therefore be designated as a “state sponsor of terrorism”.
The rocket attack on Chasiv Yar is the latest in a series of recent Russian attacks that have caused many casualties against civilian structures in Ukraine.
At least 19 people died when a Russian missile hit a shopping mall in the city of Kremenchuk in late June. Earlier this month, 21 people were killed when an apartment building and recreation area came under rocket fire in the southern region of Odessa.
Russia – which claims to be conducting a “special military operation” to demilitarize Ukraine – denies targeting civilians during the war. There was no comment on the strike on Chasiv Yar during a Russian Defense Ministry briefing on July 10.
Multiple rocket attacks were also reported in Ukraine’s second city, Kharkiv, not far from the Russian border.
Rockets, fired in the early hours of July 10, hit a school, a private house and a children’s sanatorium, partially destroying the buildings, the Kharkiv prosecutor’s office said. A 62-year-old man was injured in the attacks, he said in a Telegram article.
Ukrainian officials said Russian forces attacked areas near the eastern city of Sloviansk on July 10 but were forced to withdraw.
Serhiy Hayday, the governor of the eastern Luhansk region, said Russian troops were gathering in the village of Bilohorivka, about 50 kilometers east of Sloviansk.
“The enemy … is bombing surrounding settlements, carrying out airstrikes, but still unable to quickly occupy the entire Luhansk region,” Hayday said on Telegram.
“Last night alone, the Russians launched seven artillery barrages and four rocket attacks,” he added.
The Ukrainian military staff said in its daily summary that attacks were reported in several towns and villages in eastern and southern Ukraine.
Donetsk and Lugansk form the Donbass region, where Moscow-backed separatists have been fighting Ukrainian forces since 2014.
WATCH: Oleksandr Kraskivskyi, village chief of Zamhlay in Ukraine’s Chernihiv region, says he tried to reason with occupying Russian troops but ended up being tied up, beaten and held captive. Kraskivskyi believes he survived after explaining that he served in the Soviet army in Afghanistan.
Last week, Russian forces captured the town of Lysychansk, the last major Ukrainian resistance stronghold in Luhansk.
Meanwhile, the situation in the southern region of Kherson has become more dangerous.
Serhiy Khlan, deputy head of the Kherson regional council in exile, said Ukrainian troops struck a military unit in the southern city of Kherson, setting it on fire.
Serhiy Bratchuk, the head of the Odessa regional administration, said on Telegram that the Ukrainian forces “hit the base of the occupiers in the Kherson region”.
Russian air defense systems were activated in Kherson on July 10, TASS reported, adding that four explosions were heard and smoke was seen in the central part of the city.
Ukrainian Deputy Prime Minister Iryna Vereshchuk has urged civilians to evacuate the city and Kherson region.
“It’s clear there will be fighting, there will be artillery fire… and so we urge (people) to urgently evacuate,” she said July 10 on television. national.
She couldn’t say exactly when the counterattack would occur.
The Kherson region includes the city of Kherson, which before the war had a population of almost 300,000. It is unclear how many of the city’s residents remained after Ukraine lost control of most of the Kherson region in the first weeks of the war.
Meanwhile, Defense Minister Oleksiy Reznikov said by July 10, advanced American long-range multiple rocket launcher systems had already made a “tremendous difference” on the battlefield.
Ukraine currently has nine of the High Mobility Artillery Rocket Systems (HIMARS) and similar systems supplied by the United States and its allies, Security Council Secretary Oleksiy Danilov said earlier this week.
The United States announced on July 8 that it would send four more. He said that would bring the number of HIMARS sent by Washington to 12.
Reznikov told The Times in an article published on July 10 that Zelenskiy ordered the Ukrainian army to recapture the occupied southern territories.
“We understand that politically it is very necessary for our country,” he told the British newspaper. “The president has instructed the supreme military commander to come up with plans.”